Thank you for your interest in Caravel Migration Services. BASE100 understands the important decision that you are about to make. Caravel migrates 100% of your RPG/COBOL system to pure Java and XML while maintaining the same functionality of your original programs. BASE100 offers you the opportunity to see a small portion of your own application translated to Java and running on the web. We are confident that it will help you to qualify and quantify your decision.
In order to produce a PoC we need you to fill out and return to us the following documents.
System and Contact Information Document: While producing your PoC, this document will give us the necessary information to generate a proposal with the costs and timeframe involved in migrating your RPG/COBOL system to Java. A BASE100 representative will contact you.
How to prepare the reference system for a Caravel analysis or conversion process
How to prepare the SAVF
Sending your system: Once ready, the SAVF containing the system to be analyzed and/or converted (Reference System), can be sent to BASE100 in different ways:
- E-mail it to BASE100 as attached file.
- Ask for an SFTP account and send the SAVF data using it.
- Mail the tape containing the SAVF data.
- Record a DVD/CD-ROM with the SAVF data and mail it.
Content of SAVF
Please consider that a Proof of Concept (POC) is 100% similar to an ordinary analysis or conversion project. Therefore, it is necessary to provide BASE100 with the same elements that for any regular analysis and/or conversion. The system to be converted (Reference System) must be stored in a SAVF and sent to BASE100 laboratory. The Reference System will be deployed on a BASE100 (AS/400) platform and tested in it.
- The SAVF must contain all the sources and all the objects that constitute the Reference System.
- It is necessary to include a mechanism to establish the correspondences between sources and the subsequent objects. In AS/400 systems important information is included in the object, not in the source, therefore the comprehensive information must be extracted from both sources and objects.
- The libraries copied from the AS/400, must be complete. Therefore, when moved to the AS/400 platform located in BASE100 laboratory, the application can be compiled and executed without limitations.
- It must contain all the archives (SOURCES AND OBJECTS) of the *PGM (COBOL, RPG, CL), *FILE (PRTF, DSPF, PF, and LF) types that need to be translated.
- Objects of the *DTAARA, *QRY, and *MSGF types must be also included.
- In case the Reference System uses a DF as data repository (data dictionary) which is referred to in the sources data description, please include it as well.
- It is advisable to have an Execution Environment of the AS/400 that includes data and compiled programs, user for running the Reference System, LIBL, JOB DESCRIPTION and CCSID.
Supported versions of RPG: RPG II, RPG III, RPG/400, RPG ILE.
Supported versions of COBOL: COBOL/400, COBOL ILE.
Supported versions of OS: V7R3 or lower, down to V5R2. BASE100 guarantees confidentiality of all the information received from the customers through all the process. Additionally, a NDA can be signed at any time.
Recording settings for SAVF
Please, use the following parameters in the command SAVLIB:
- SAVLIB Parameter
- “Destination release”
- “Save access”
- “Data Compression”
- “Data Compaction”
- “Type of exit information”
- “Save Data”
- OS version V7R3 or lower
- SAVFDTA(*NO) / (*YES)
According the kind of activity the data could be not necessary. It is suitable to receive empty data structures. It will reduce the size of the SAVF and avoid confidentiality issues. In some cases, otherwise, to perform data migration or run test cases, to send a set of data is necessary.
Information about the system
Please include the information about the different entry points into the applications to be able to test them, as well as the user who will be using them.
- Start Program
In case of a POC of conversion, it is necessary to include information to run functional tests (Smoke Tests) of the Reference System.
It is advisable to include the list of the critical routes, so that they can be verified.
For more information please contact us at:
Phone: +34 91 353 18 15